The Lightning Thief

Title: The Lightning Thief
Author: Rick Riordan
Genre: YA, fantasy
Source: Borrowed from a student

That's right...I borrowed a book from one of my students. I love that my high-schoolers are comfortable enough with me to talk about books and movies that interest them. I love that they are willing to share those interests with me. Like Twilight before it, and Harry Potter before that, I only read this because a student recommended it to me. And like the books before it, I'm very glad I did.


What I liked:
1.  Even though she is only a small section of this novel, I was instantly drawn to Percy's mother. There is something about her love for him, her selflessness, and her sacrifices that spoke to me.  I especially like her when compared to the mothers in several other YA novels I've read recently (Yes, Never Cry Wolf, I'm talking about you.).

2. I enjoy the way Mr. Riordan is able to make connections between mythology that is well-known and a brand new world. Percy and his story is wholly unique, but with so many of the characters being ones I've met before, I'm charmed and hooked into the series.

What I disliked:
1. While the Gods are given many different facets to their characters..........or are allowed to show them, it is a bit off putting that most of the teens are mere stereotypes of the God/dess that sired them.

2. It's a bit odd that something in that last sentence inspired to me to use the word sired in a non-vampire context.

Overall: This was a fun book and I'm glad I had a chance to read it. I might be tempted to see the movie now. Though I've heard that it is significantly different from the novels. This is one of those novels that should be read by YA fans and fantasy fans alike.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I read books they way other people eat, sleep, or watch movies....voraciously, obsessively, and as often as possible. The reviews, random commentary, and snark in this blog are mine alone. Don't take my word...read the book.
 
Copyright 2009 She Reads All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes