Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?

Title: Sisters Red
Author: Jackson Pearce
Genre: Young Adult, paranormal, fairy tale re-telling
Source: Free ARC received from Hachette Book Group in exchange for a honest response.


Love. From the awesome cover down to the last little detail of the book; I love it.  Months ago I got a glimpse of the cover and the title and just knew I wanted to get ahold of this book. You see, I've been interested in fairy tales and fairy tale retellings since I can remember.  I love it when an author gives me a new way to look at the characters...while still telling a tale I know and enjoy. Mr. Pearce has done this in spades!

Summary from the publisher:
Scarlet March lives to hunt the Fenris--the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead.

Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts ferociously alongside her. But even as more girls' bodies pile up in the city and the Fenris seem to be gaining power, Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves. She finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax and Scarlett's only friend--but does loving him mean betraying her sister and all that they've worked for?

Things I like: 
1. I really enjoy that the character of Little Red is split into the two March sisters. They both contain pieces of the original character while still being fully formed individual characters.

2. The big bad wolf is actually a werewolf.....or wolves....

3. All the elements are there...grandma, wood cutters, the red cloak, and a wolf (or more) that is clever and charming enough to lure young girls.


From another angle:
I just came back from a long weekend at the Phoenix Comicon. While there I attended several panels on Steampunk. I think the March sisters would make awesome characters to portray and with a red cloak (which I happen to have (Thanks, Grandma!)) could be some fun costumes to make and wear.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

I read books they way other people eat, sleep, or watch movies....voraciously, obsessively, and as often as possible. The reviews, random commentary, and snark in this blog are mine alone. Don't take my word...read the book.
 
Copyright 2009 She Reads All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes