Heir To Sevenwaters




Title: Heir to Sevenwaters (Follow up novel to the Sevenwaters Triology)
Author: Juliet Marillier
Genre: Fantasy
Source: Library, but want desperately to own

I had to read this one. There was no question. You see, for a long time I was under the impression that my favorite series of books was only a trilogy. Then bam! This one shows up...with the same great cover art and a wonderful continuation of the Sevenwaters' clan.

For those of you who haven't read any of the Sevenwaters books, might I suggest you do. Juliet Marillier has an enchanting way of mixing known fairy tales and faerie stories with Celtic folk lore, Druidic mysticism, magic, and romance. Each book in the series is about a different generation of the Sevenwaters clan and how they deal with the fae meddling in their lives (sometimes for good, sometimes for not so good). All are classic fairy tales with a challenge to overcome, but they are well and truly fleshed out and held up by interesting characters and a complex plot that tangles together over the generations. Each can be read on it's own, but they are definitely better as a whole.

What I liked about this book:
1. Just about everything. It is like a welcome home. I read and reread the first three books all the time, I'm glad the story doesn't stop there.

2. The cover art. I really like the style the American covers come with. Kind of old school fantasy, but they are exactly what I picture when I think of the different characters.

3. We get to meet the head mischief maker himself - Mac Dara in this one.

4. Love always wins.

What I didn't like:

1. This a plot thing: For a family that has generations of dealings with the Fae.....why don't they understand what's going on?!?! It was a bit frustrating, but I know it was meant to be. The story couldn't have moved on the way it did if everyone automatically believed. So not really a complaint.

2. Another not really a complaint, but I don't like that I didn't know that the series didn't stop at three. Not that I mind my favorite stories continuing, but now I have to think of something else to call the Sevenwaters Triology.



(This book is part of my fantasy reading challenge)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I read books they way other people eat, sleep, or watch movies....voraciously, obsessively, and as often as possible. The reviews, random commentary, and snark in this blog are mine alone. Don't take my word...read the book.
 
Copyright 2009 She Reads All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes