Flight of the Night Hawks

Author: Raymond E. Feist
Title: Flight of the Night Hawks ~ Book 1 of the Darkwar Saga
Genre: Fantasy
Source: public library

Don't you just love going into a book store or library and finding out a favorite author has new books out that you've never heard of? It's like Christmas. This is how I discovered the newest series within a series by Mr. Feist. Apparently, the universe was hiding these from me and the library felt it was time to let me know they existed.

I love the worlds that Feist has created.  They fit together so neatly and form several little series within the main series. It's always interesting to see where each new mini-series will take the overarching storyline.


What I liked:
1. While this series is taking place several years after most of the other stories, there are still familiar characters. This is one of the perks of having non-aging characters I suppose. The main ones can continue on and we can get the children / grand-children of other beloved characters to fill in the gaps.

2. The familiar characters above never feel hokey or out-dated. Sometimes characters just get old. Luckily, these characters seem to know their place in time and within the stories.

3. The action is still there. While not a constant thrill ride, there are several small things that occur and a few big things that set everyone on edge. Definitely a fun read!

What I didn't like:
1. Apparently, I'm something like four years behind on reading novels I really enjoy. Feist's novels were some of the first fantasy novels I read and enjoyed. It's weird to me to not know there were new books.


Overall: I'm glad I finally made it into the loop and was able to read this book. For fantasy readers, especially ones who enjoy series, this is definitely a book for you. It is written to stand alone, but it will make much more sense if you read the rest of the sagas first.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I read books they way other people eat, sleep, or watch movies....voraciously, obsessively, and as often as possible. The reviews, random commentary, and snark in this blog are mine alone. Don't take my word...read the book.
 
Copyright 2009 She Reads All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes